Saturday, 20 July 2013

13 Questions with...Laura White


1. Hey Laura! Firstly, you have a sensational voice! What made you want to audition for The X Factor back in 2008? I had been performing for 6 years prior to auditioning for the show. I was in Mark Ronsons band and also on the e4 school of performing arts... and i had played festivals and gigs also trying to get my music out to as many people as possible. I felt i wanted to get my voice heard as i believed in my talent so much.
2. When will we be hearing new music from you? My EP is going to be released soon! i am so excited! pls keep on all my sites.. www.hellomynameismartha.com,www.twitter.com/MynameisMartha1/ www.facebook.com/MynameisMartha www.youtube.com/marthamusicofficial for all updates.
3. What made you choose 'Martha' as your new stage name? Martha is me, who i am as a person. An old soul who has a heart filled with soul/pop/blues music and i think Martha the artist reflects that. Also i have worked solidly as a writer/musician/ artist for ten years on creating my art and getting my work heard i guess i wanted to be Martha as i wanted to show i could stand alone, i dont feel i need any show or previous successes to carry my music to where i want it to go. I wanted to be brave and stand alone as an artist.
4. If you could tour with anyone, who would it be and why? i would tour with stevie wonder for music reasons.. or someone who interests me spiritually and in the mind i guess someone like Annie Lennox.. as she reaches out to me every time i see an interview of hers. I admire her mind, i think she is brave and so interesting as a person so i guess her as id like to learn from her. 
5. If you invite any 3 celebrities to dinner, who would they be? i love this! it would be jesus christ, muhammed ali and alicia keys.
6. How did it feel to perform new material at The Lowry Theatre earlier this year? the lowry was amazing, my material has progressed since then but i am so so proud my fans filled that venue for me. The day i found out i had sold out i was so happy i cried! I also loved my pianist played with me that day and hes been with me since i was 17 so i felt so proud we had played such a great venue together and reached a place i dreamed of playing.
7. As well as an amazing singer, you're also a great songwriter. If you could write a song for any artist, who would it be? Thank you so much! i would love to write for alicia keys, i know she writess for herself too but i do think my melodies i write are similar to hers so you never know! She could one day take one of my songs! 
8. Who is your biggest inspiration? i would say alicia keys.. she has kept her integrity, musicality, beauty in her heart, kept her freedom. All of these things are tough to hold onto and i think she has done this perfectly as well as producing some great work.  Also Aretha Franklin for her voice, her ability to make a song touch a heart is unbelievable every lyric she sings is just beautiful. 
9. How would you describe your new sound? i would say its real. Every song is an experience ive lived that day. Its pop, but with a vintage, soul sound that has maintained a young, honest lyric. Sometimes i may say things that maybe are unexpected but i like that because thats what im like in person! Its truthful. 
10.  Have you ever been star struck when meeting a celebrity? yes! i sang with james morrison, and 'real to me' was a song that really carried me through a manic period in my career so seeing him meant a lot to me. Also truthfully meeting simon cowell, we would have dinners together and i couldnt eat around him.. i just always wanted to meet an a n r who understood me and he always did and respected who i was and i guess him being simon made me even more nervous! 
11. If you weren't a singer, what would you be? i would write books! i am an absolute writer in my heart.. if i couldnt sing and write music i would write books!
12. What would be the top 5 songs in your playlist at the moment? my top 5 songs i'm listening to just now are 'ciara- im out' 'joni mitchell- a case of you' 'eg white 'adventure man' 'miguel- all i want is you' and i have ella fitzgerald nights where i play 'every time we say goodbye' .
13. What advice would you give to anyone who wants to be a singer? believe in yourself 100%, be truthful, be strong. Think about why you are making music.. the reason i want to make music is i want to change and help the world with what i bring. I think every person wanting to make music should also think about that. Also always go with your heart! 
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions! I'm so excited to hear your new material. Good luck on everything!

I can't wait to hear Laura's new music. For anyone who doesn't know what 'Martha Friday's' are - where have you been? Every Friday, Martha uploads a cover to her YouTube channel. Don't forget to check them out! 


Here is one of my favourites: Martha covers 'Heart Attack' by Demi Lovato:





You can see more videos from Martha on her official YouTube channel here:

Follow Martha on Twitter here:

'Like' Martha on Facebook here:


No comments:

Post a Comment